Copeland Spode Cream Jug
This little jug is in Spode’s Byron design. The pictures are transfer prints that have been hand-coloured. This little jug is the same front and back – the picture shows two people crossing a romantic old wooden bridge. Around the top is a border of trellis entwined with a grape vine.
Spode’s Byron was introduced in 1851 and discontinued in 1969 – that’s 118 years! So how do we know how old this jug is?
In 1890 William McKinley (president of the USA) introduced the McKinley Tariff Act . This imposed taxes on many imports (such as ceramics) in order to make it easier for American manufacturers to sell their wares. It was a requirement of this Act that all such imports carried the name of the country of manufacture – eg ‘England’. In 1921 the Act was amended and imports were required to have the words ‘Made in’ as well as the country of origin.
So if we look at the stamp on the bottom of this little jug – it would seem to imply that it was made between 1890 and 1921!
Now for the boring bit:
Josiah Spode began manufacturing high quality ceramics around 1770 in Stoke on Trent. His son (also confusingly called Josiah) soon afterwards opened an outlet in London and at this time they largely dealt in Blue and White which had become fashionable through imports from China. In 1784 William Copeland began working for Spode and the Copeland family worked their way up through the roles of administrator, share holder to sole owner by 1822. The firm became known as Copeland Spode. It remained in the Copeland Family until 1966 and the name changed back to Spode in 1970.
You can wake up now.
This interesting little cream jug is average condition - the glaze is a little crazed (aren’t we all?) and the handle has been repaired. It measures 2.75inches high and holds about .25pint.